Sunday, June 13, 2004

I'm Engaged!!!!

Well, as everyone who visits this blog should know, I was away this past weekend because Stink Pants #5 and I were going on a short weekend trip to Mackinaw City. In addition to going to the Mirror Maze and eating some lobster, we got engaged!

I guess I should tell the story about the whole weekend. It makes it more interesting. (You might want to print this out and sit down, because it's long.)

Stink Pants and I wanted to get away for a weekend. I know I'm going to see him next weekend for his sister's open house, and he was down here to visit a couple weeks ago, but we just wanted a weekend to ourselves. (Oh, did you know they don't call them "Open Houses" in Wisconsin? They just call them graduation parties.) So we planned to meet each other in St. Ignace. We would've stayed in Mackinaw City, but hotels are so much cheaper in St. Ignace.

Anyway, I arrived at our hotel around 7:15. Stink Pants #5 was supposed to be there before me, but his drive is longer than mine. So I waited in the lobby with the desk attendents, who were both females under thirty years of age.

While I was waiting, they talked about their families and their children, then they asked me about Stink Pants #5. I said, "Oh, he's a dork, but he's my dork." They laughed at that. He pulled into the parking lot a couple minutes later, and as he was walking from the car to the lobby, he put on a red jacket.

Laura: Oh, he's got his Scorpion jacket.

First Lobby Gal: Scorpion jacket?

Laura: Yeah, it's a jacket with the word 'Scorpion' on the back.

Second Lobby Gal: Ah. (They exchange knowing looks.)

So Stink Pants #5 comes in, and does a double take when he sees me sitting in a leather chair. We check in, say bye to the girls, then walk to our room.

The room we got was awesome. It had a door out the back that leads to the beach. If it'd been warmer we could've swum in Lake Huron. If we had woken up early enough, we could've seen the sunrise over the lake too (ha! Like I'm gonna wake up before 7:55 on vacation).

Anyway, we ate at the Bayside Restaurant. It's a family restaurant, kinda like the Capri. I ordered the surf and turf and had some of the best lobster I've ever had. It was awesome!

The next day, we drove to Mackinaw City. We were going to go to the island, but it was cloudy and windy out and we didn't want to go to the island if it wasn't going to be nice. So instead we went to the city and went shopping. If anyone has been to Frankenmuth, you know there's an open air mall called "Riverplace." Well, there's a place just like that in Mackinaw City (I don't remember what it's called). We didn't buy much (some shirts for his nephews), but we did go to a place called the Mirror Maze. That was neat, and what's even cooler, there's another Mirror Maze in Frankenmuth and it's supposed to be bigger.

Well, after we went shopping and walking around the town, we went back to the hotel for a nap. We woke up again at 5:00 and went to dinner at a place called the Driftwood.

Since we had such a good experience with lobster yesterday, Stink Pants #5 decided he wanted lobster this time. So we got the two lobster tail dinner and six jumbo broiled shrimp, and we split both dinners. Now, although the Driftwood looked newer and fancier (they had fish tanks with giant fish in them) the lobster wasn't as good as the Bayside (by the way, I beat Stink Pants by one shrimp. I'm the Queen of Seafood!). So for future reference, if you're ever in St. Ignace, the Bayside has the best lobster.

About two weeks ago, Stink Pants #5 mentioned that he wanted to start playing the cornet again. He played in high school (he was first chair!) but when he went to college, he didn't have time...or a horn. I saw a sign outside a house that read, 'Buy and Sell: Used Instruments.' I contacted the instrument dealer guy, and he said it would be okay to borrow the horn (I don't know if it's a trumpet or a cornet) for the weekend for Stink Pants #5 to try out.

Well, after dinner we went back to the hotel to hang out on the beach, and I figured that would be a good time to try out the horn, since we'd be outside. I stepped out the back and noticed only one other couple on the beach. Stink Pants #5 went back inside to get some shoes, so I took the horn and sat on some giant rocks on the beach. He followed me and played the horn. I asked him to play a song for me, and he made up some weird sounding song that would be suitable for C Masta J's radio show :-). (C Masta J and Stink Pants #5 made up a bunch of weird sounding songs for the show. Weirdos.) Anyway, for someone who hasn't played in six years, he was pretty good.

It happened so fast that I was caught completely by surprise and it took me a minute to figure out what was going on. I wanted to go in, because there were clouds of gnats all over the place, and I hate gnats. So I climbed down from the rock, handed the horn to Stink Pants #5 and started the walk back to the room. He grabbed my hand and pulled me into a hug. So I hugged him and started walking back. Then he did it again! So, I hugged him and turned back around. Then he pulled me back again, and when I turned around, Stink Pants #5 was already on one knee with the ring out.

Stink Pants #5: Will you marry me?

Laura: (In shock) I don't believe you!

Stink Pants #5: ...

Laura: I DON'T BELIEVE YOU! (Stink Pants #5 kneels there waiting.) Yes! Yes, of course, dorkbot! You're my favorite!

We hugged and kissed for a couple minutes, then walked back to the room. I noticed a couple on their balcony and I shouted "I just got engaged!" and we went inside. I asked Stink Pants #5 why he decided to ask me to marry him just then. He said, "Well, you were all full of lobster and the water was so romantic, and I played a song for you. It just seemed right." I called home and told my parents. My mom gave us her congratulations and Dad said, "Oh, you're getting married now?"

So, after studying the ring for an hour or so (I couldn't stop looking at it), we decided to go for a swim in the pool.

We went to the lobby to get some pool towels, and I saw one of the lobby girls, but she was on the phone. I got her attention and waved, then I flashed the ring. A hand flew up to her mouth, then she immediately apologized to whoever it was she was talking to. As we were walking across the parking lot back to the room, she stuck her head out the door and yelled "Congratulations!" I yelled, "Thank you!" and told Stink Pants #5 that one of the neat things about being engaged is telling people about it.

So we went to the pool and swam around for an hour. When we were sitting in the hot tub, a couple came up to us and asked our names. We told them, and they told us they were the couple on the balcony, and they congratulated us again.

So, that's about it. I came home this morning, and showed the ring to Mom and Dad, sent the email to everyone and wrote this post while watching the Pistons/Lakers game (Pistons won, 88 to 80!) Oh, please forward the email to anyone I might have missed :-).

The Engagement Ring!


One carat of diamond-y goodness

If it doesn't show up, try clicking here, and if that doesn't work, Xioserv has run out of bandwidth again. (Bastards).

P.S. I'm engaged!

No comments: