Saturday, July 17, 2004

The Terminal

My Wednesday morning started out like this. I awoke to my mom yelling "Ai! You're still asleep? It's 10:00, we have to go!" Mom and Dad's alma mater, Far East University in Manila, was having a school reunion in Detroit (actually it's in Troy, but who's counting?) and some old friends of theirs were arriving at 1:58 pm. Since it takes about two hours to get to Detroit Metro Airport (DTW) from where we live, Mom wanted to leave at 11:00 so we'd have time to park our car and everything. By the time I got up, it was 10:15, and Mom was throwing clothes from the dryer onto my bed. By the time I had finished with my morning routine, it was just about 11:00. We had to stop at the bank and get something to eat, so we didn't actually get going until 11:30. As we started our adventure, Mom had some interesting things to say.

Mom: I feel like I'm new in this country.

Laura: Really? Why?

Mom: I don't know, I just have that feeling. Look at those flowers! I can't even get the ones I have like that to bloom.

Laura: I know why they're big. They're planted in a ditch.

Mom: Yeah.

As we drove, we covered many other topics, but the most prevalent one was whether we'd make it to Detroit Metro on time. There was construction (as usual in Michigan) and slow drivers in the fast lane (as usual everywhere) but we managed to make it to the airport at 1:14.

I don't know about everyone else, but driving around DTW is crazy! For such a short track, there are five lanes, and each lane goes to a different place. The first time, we found ourselves shunted out of the airport and onto a road just outside. We ended up having to circle around just to get back in. From there, we were able to find a parking deck, and we made it inside with twenty-five minutes to spare.

There are three terminals at DTW, and we had to find the one that only served Northwestern. Easy enough. Time for a bathroom stop. This terminal must have been very new, because everything was sensor-oriented. Automatic flush toilets, automatic sinks, paper towel dispensers and soap dispensers. It was like living in the Jetson's house. After that, Mom and I were off to find out when the plane was actually going to land. We found a monitor with flight information. This is what we saw: (I can't remember the flight numbers now)

New York - JFK, NW ####, Cancelled

Mom: Cancelled? What does that mean, cancelled?

Laura: It's probably cancelled, Mom. (Mom and Laura walk to the Northwestern baggage desk for some help.)

Lady at Desk: I can help you over here.

Mom: We're looking for Flight #### from New York.

Lady: Looks like it's cancelled.

Mom: What does that mean, cancelled?

Lady: It's cancelled. (Laura laughs.)

The Lady then explained to us how there was a big storm and flooding in New York, and how everyone who used to have flights out of JFK are being rerouted to La Guardia and Newark. She said that most likely, Mom's friends were on one of those flights, and might arrive later that day.

Mom: So what should we do?

Lady: Go home. That's what we tell most people in your situation. You can wait around if you like, but it might be hours before your friends arrive. If you go home, we'll have your friends call you and you can come and pick them up when they're here.

Mom: That's not going to work. We live two hours away. There's no way you can find out what flight they're on and when they'll arrive?

Lady: I'm not allowed to give out personal information like that, it's against federal regulations. Do you have a cell phone? You could call them.

Mom: No.

Lady: Wow, I thought I was the only one in the world without a cell phone. (Mom and the Lady then converse about how everyone has a cell phone and how convenient it would be if Mom had one now. Then a man enters.)

Another lady: I can help you here.

Man: I've been looking for my luggage for the past forty-five minutes, and it's not here.

Another lady: Well, sir, the best I can do is call on it.

Lady: I already called, there was no one down there. I had to have Carol help.

Man: Your manager said the bags would be on carousel five, and they're not there. We have our perscriptions in those bags, it's really important that we have them.

Another lady: I'll see what I can do (picking up the phone.)

Man: That woman already tried that. (pointing to the Lady) You're the one that tried to help me.

Lady: Sir, there's no need to get angry; there's nothing we can do right now.

Man: (clearly upset) I'm not upset, but I'm gonna be. (Lady lets out a sigh of contempt). What was that!? (Nothing is said by anyone for the next two minutes. Laura is secretly smiling at the whole thing, and Mom is just staring into space. The tension in the air is so thick, one could poke it with a dipstick.)

Lady: What are their names?

Laura: Mom!

Mom: Oh! De la Perna.

Lady: Their first names?

Mom: Gorge and Gigi. (The Lady then begins jabbing at her keyboard with a disheartened look on her face. Then she moves to a nearby telephone and speaks in a low voice. When she returns, the Lady is back to her business mode.)

Lady: Ma'am, I cannot give out personal information about passengers. I can only give out flight information, and Delta flight #### from Cincinatti is on time.

Mom: Is that the flight they're on?

Laura: (gesturing for her mom to be quiet) Mom, let's go.

Mom: Is it?

Laura: Yes Mom.

Mom: (smiling to Lady) Thank you!

Laura: (also smiling) Thank you so much.

Lady: You're very welcome.

As we left the woman, the smile on her face was so big, it could light up the Taj Mahal.

To be continued...

No comments: