Monday, September 27, 2004

Movie Vengeance + Halo-halo = Family Fun Night at the House of Loo

This weekend was family movie weekend. We do this every once in a while. We have to, because Dad buys and rents so many DVDs that we have to watch them all so he doesn't waste his money. It's this type of nobless oblige that keeps our family together!

I don't know why, but Dad rented a bunch of vengeance movies for us to watch this weekend. I'm not sure if he was doing it on purpose, or what. We watched Man on Fire, The Punisher, and Kill Bill Vol. 2. Earlier today, Mom and I watched Buried Alive and Buried Alive II, which were also vengence-y type movies.

They're all pretty good movies, with the exception of the Buried Alive series, which are a couple of "made for TV" movies. Man on Fire was Dad's favorite. It stars Denzel Washington as a bodyguard for this little girl that gets kidnapped. He especially liked the way Creasy (Denzel's character) blew up a guy by sticking some C-4 in his ass (Daddy is gross like that).

Mom and I liked The Punisher and Kill Bill Vol. 2. I think I liked the Punisher a little more than Kill Bill, because it is based on a comic book that I didn't read a lot when I was little (as opposed to the X-Men) and that Tom Jane fellow is one really ripped guy! I think I need to buy Stink Pants #5 some fitted dress and t-shirts. (Don't worry guys, Stink Pants #5 can dress himself. I just make sure there are nice clothes in his closet). Then, all I'll have to do is convince Stink Pants to buy some free weights and work out every other night (Ha! yeah right. The only way he'll work out is if Nintendo made a video game simulation of a guy working out). Also, I thought Kill Bill Vol. 2 was slow in some scenes, enough so that I got bored, which isn't hard since I have a six second attention span.......what?

What made this movie weekend especially noteworthy was the reappearance of halo-halo! Noona will be super sad she missed this.

Halo-halo literally means mix-mix, and it is a Filipino desert made of shaved ice, milk and fruits and other ingredients. Here's a picture of our halo-halo gear.



I forgot to include the ice shaver in the picture, but as you can see we have coconut sport balls, yam jam (the Filipino answer to sweet red bean paste) and a bowl of shaved ice (you can't see it in the picture, but the yam jam is a vivid purple). You just put that stuff in the bottom of the glass, fill the empty spaces with ice and add milk. Voila! Halo-halo! You can add fresh fruits too, like oranges, pineapples, bananas, jack fruit, star fruit and shaved coconut. You can add apples too, but there aren't many varieties of apple in the Philippines. It doesn't really matter though, just add some fruit, yam jam, ice, milk, and enjoy! It's really good! You all should try it. (If you can't get shaved ice, you can used crushed ice, but it isn't as good).

That's really all there was to this Family Fun Weekend. It's usually what happens when none of us have any other plans :-). It's good to spend some quality time with your family though, right?

Addendum:

Halo-halo is pronounced Hah-loo hah-loo.

No comments: