Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Fifty Thousand Glass Slippers, A Hundred Thousand Red Shoes

Homage to Imelda's shoes

Yes, Imelda Marcos is still alive. Not only has she been married to the infamous President Ferdinand Marcos, but even she ran for president a couple times. Now she's opened a museum to house all of her own shoes.

Imelda is famous (or notorious) for her love of shoes. I'm not sure why, but a lot of Filipinas seem to have a special affinity for shoes. Some examples I can think of are Noona, Mom and Hoochie Momma. I think I'd probably have a ton of shoes also if not for two things: 1) I can borrow Mom's shoes (she has lot) and 2) my Cheap-ass gene (also common among Filipinos) is a stronger than my Shoe-Buying gene.

There's also this website, Imelda Marcos vs. Leona Helmsley , where Imelda and Leona duke it out for a pair of expensive shoes.

Special thanks to Noona for finding these sites :-)

Addendum:

Noona has just informed me that there are three Filipinas that come in to her department one or two times a week to buy shoes. More victims of the Shoe-buying gene.

No comments: