Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Mom's Surgery

Warning: This is long, I had all day to write.

I usually don't pre-write my blog entries. Most of the time I write them while I'm sitting at the computer and talking to Noona. It's 1:20 right now, Mom's surgery is scheduled to begin in ten minutes and it should take about an hour, barring any major complications. That still doesn't count the time she'll be in recovery. I'll probably be here a while longer (I've been here since 11:30) so I might as well do something, like write in the blog.



It's amazing how much this hospital has changed. Noona and I used to come here as little girls when Dad was watching us. He'd leave us at a waiting room, never very far from the nurses station, then ask the nurses to look in on us every once in a while. Noona and I would always find different ways to entertain ourselves. We'd read books, draw, bring cards or just play make-believe. We used to play Sharky Waters (you know, that game where you go from one side of the room to the other without touching the floor) but the cleaning ladies soon put a stop to that when they saw the footprints we were leaving on the furniture. Sometimes Dad would leave us in the gift shop, and we'd entertain ourselves by shopping.

Now everything is different. The hospital people must have redone the whole place because nothing looks the way that it used to. Now as you walk in the main entrance, there's a coffee shop and internet kiosk to the left. The gift shop isn't where it used to be. The waiting rooms have gotten nicer too. Instead of the ugly brown couches and chairs upholstered with cloth like burlap bags, there are ergonomic, faux leather chairs that are really quite stylish.
..........

They just called me to the back to see Mom before she goes in. It's about 1:35, which means they're pretty close to on time. I brought my camera, but I didn't remember to take it to the back with me. I'll get some pictures when she gets out, if I remember to.

Man, I'm nervous now. I shouldn't be. It's minor surgery really. I still have at least another forty-five minutes to be a worry butt.

When I saw Mom, the one thing I noticed was a new mole on her right cheek. Actually it was a big marker mark. Dr. H put it there so he would know where to do his doctor stuff.

That's where I am for now. Guess I'll just leave this until there's something more exciting to write about.
..........

2:30 pm Mom should be almost done now. I've been spending time reading an issue of Time magazine from June 21, 2004. It's pretty good actually. It mentions Bush's beliefs and John Kerry's struggle with critcism from the Catholic Church about his views on stem cell research. (I didn't even know John Kerry is Catholic. The article says that he's not outwardly hiding it, he's just very private about it.) It also mentions Internet blogging, a bio of Korean LG Electronics' CEO Ssang Su, and a short interview with David Sedaris (10 questions). I wonder why no one's come out yet.
..........

2:50 pm Dr. H just talked to me. I have to write this stuff down to remember.

  • Soak 4 X 4" squares of gauze in ice water. Gently lay on eye for 20 min at a time.
  • Elevate her head with two or three pillows to minimize swelling when she' sleeping and laying down.
  • Clean stitches with H2O2 on a cotton swab.
  • Don't let her blow her nose!


Dr. H said the hole was pretty bad and it was good that she decided to go ahead with the surgery. I knew it was the size of a quarter, but I guess I underestimated the seriousness of a hole that big. She's in recovery right now. It'll be another 45 minutes before I can see her. At least it's done and I can relax a bit - phew.
..........

3:15 pm Just got done calling everyone. I left messages for Dad and Noona to call me, and I spoke with Ninang, she'll probably come over to visit later this week.

I called Stink Pants #5 too, but that was more for my benefit. I just wish I didn't have to sit in this waiting room by myself. At least I have some fish friends to keep me company.

Lonely am I in my lonely chair

This has nothing to do with anything, but I just went to the bathroom and there was a huge poo stain in the toilet. Eww.
..........

4:25 pm Been wondering what's been taking so long. It turns out that when Mom went into the recovery room, her blood pressure went way up (over 200) and Dr. H had to take her back into surgery. I'm not sure what was done, but Dr. H came back out to assure me everything is all right now. She'll be staying in the hospital overnight, just for observation. My worry quotient and heart rate have just hit the roof. She should be coming out soon though, and I'll follow her to where she'll be spending the night.

Alien has five letters!
Almost finished it. What's a three letter word for a vessel with a spigot? (64 down)
..........

6:48 pm First they couldn't find a bed so they took her up to third floor recovery until they could find one. We hung out there for about an hour. Mom started saying something about some pressure in her chest (she was still really groggy) so we waited for the cardiologist, Dr. C. Dr. H came up to see us too. Dr. C noticed some marked changes in her pre-op and post-op EKGs, so now I'm here on the second floor in the cardiology department, waiting while she gets a cardiac catheter. I was supposed to have my first singing lesson tonight. Guess that'll have to wait.

7:37 pm I was able to get hold of Darcy to cancel the singing lesson. Dr. C just came by to say that Mom was done with the cardiac cath, and they should be wheelin' her by any minute. I guess the pressure in her chest was caused by her hypertension. Guess Mom will have to lay off the steak for a while. He said they're going to be passing by here on their way to the Cardiac Care Unit. I hope they come by soon.
..........

8:05 pm I'm now on the sixth floor doing a puzzle (500 pieces). This is an easy one, I've already put together this whole butterfly, and parts of a balloon and dolphin. They're getting a bed ready for Mom, but it's the shift change so it's taking longer than usual.

8:15 pm A lady just gave me a form to fill. Hopefully I fill it out all right.
..........

now (1:07 am) I finally got to see Mom. She was much more coherent than she was when I first saw her around 5:00, but not as coherent as she was when we arrived at the hospital at 11:30 am. I spent almost ten hours at the hospital, waiting, worrying and following nurses around. Mom's good now. She's still at the hospital in the CCU. I have to go back to there tomorrow to pick her up and give her some clothes. I had half a cheeseburger for lunch and a Subway sub for dinner (at 10:00 at night). I am beat. This reminds me of when Mom and I had to spend ten hours in the airport terminal waiting for her friends. This was worse though, because I didn't have my mom to talk and laugh with. I hope I remember to bring her some underwear.

As Dad and I were walking out of the hospital, we talked.

Laura: Daddy! I was worried. I tried not to be, but I was.

Dad: I know you were. (Puts his hand on my shoulder.)

Laura: Were you worried? (No answer.) Yeah, you were worried. I know you were.

Dad: You know my motto: Don't worry about it.

Laura: It's okay, Dad. (Dad smiles a quiet smile.)

No comments: