Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Johnny Burke is a dork

This is a comment I sent to WHNN Oldies 96.0

------------------
As I was driving to work this morning (6/1/04), instead of a funny anecdote or a classic song, I was surprised to hear a heated debate between yourself and a fellow listener. Now, it doesn't really matter who thinks he was right or wrong, in the long run it won't matter because a person can't know everything. I'm not writing about anyone's views on the war. What I am commenting about is the appalling way the young man was treated on your show. I don't think he was given a fair chance to make his point will all the yelling and interruptions. I understand that you are very passionate about your views and about defending them, but a difference of opinion is no excuse for being rude. It is possible to have a debate without resorting to yelling. I did hear the woman afterward who said you were spouting propoganda. Granted, she wasn't saying much, but all you and your co-host could do was yell at her as well. Maybe she was talking at that insane speed because she didn't want to be interrupted and treated the same as the young man. I'm not going to stop listening to WHNN because of this, because as I said it won't matter in the long run, your actions should not reflect against the whole radio station and all their personnel, and I like Oldies.

Just wanted to speak my mind. Thanks for listening.

-------------------

This was in regards to a person who called into the Oldies 96 Morning Show with Johnny Burke in response to a column called Monday Night at Morton's that Johnny was reading written by Ben Stein. It was about Ben Stein's views on the war, yadda yadda yadda. From my comment, I guess you can tell I didn't like how the guy who called in was treated. They yelled at him and berated him for not knowing anything. The guy did know stuff, just different stuff than what they knew. It just annoys me when people yell like that on the radio (or on the street or on TV or anything, unless it's a cop drama). There's no reason for it. Johnny Burke is supposed to be a celebrity and you think he would know better than to lose his cool in the public eye (or ear) like that. It made him look like a spoiled primadonna. If you take the time to read what Ben Stein said, Johnny Burke is exactly a the type of celebrity that isn't a star or a hero or anything.

It ruined my morning.

Blah.

No comments: