Friday, July 23, 2004

My Online Life

As you can all see, I've added a new section to the sidebar. I split up the Links and the Blogs, just for my own amusement, and so it'd be better organized. I'm weird like that. Certain things have to be in a certain order, like the links in the sidebar, while others can be strewn anywhere and I won't care, like my laundry (even my clean laundry. I hate folding).

I've been noticing that I've been spending a lot of time on the internet lately. Actually, I've always spent a lot of time on the internet, ever since we got a computer. It's different now though. I remember when I was fourteen years old, and I'd log onto chat rooms and try to convince chatters who were in their early twenties that I was also in my early twenties. Of course, I realize now that the chatters claiming to be in their early twenties were probably also fourteen year olds. I'm twenty-three now, and I haven't been to a chatroom in nine years (maybe eight, but a really long time nonetheless).

When I moved back home I used to spend all my free time playing the piano, mostly because there was nothing else to do. All of my friends who used to live around here have since moved away and gotten real lives, and I don't get home in time to catch Pokemon (I can't catch them all!)

Now I find myself on the computer every night wondering what to write on my blog and what is new on my friends' blogs. I check my email a couple times (but that's nothing new), and I check out the other sites I keep up with (you'll see them under Links in the sidebar). Lately, the improvisation group I was in during college has constructed a new forum for members old and new to keep in touch with. I've worked that site into my nightly routine as well.

It's just weird that to me that my habits have changed so much that I can now spend a couple hours on the internet and not be playing some sort of game. It helps that I don't have any good games anymore too. They're all on my other computer, which Stink Pants #5 is presently using. But my point is that I used to spend so much time playing Ultima Online, Neopets, Baldur's Gate, the Sims (among other games) and it was so fun. Being online now is still fun, but it's different. I can't explain it though. I hope I'm not growing up. That's not exactly true. I hope I'm not losing my childhood.

No comments: