Friday, December 22, 2006

I am a "professional sitter/cheerer"

For the longest time, I was a lay-sitter. I sat around on the couch, on the floor, at the dinner table, at my sister's place, at my parent's place, at other people's places, and finally my own place!

I was also an amateur cheerer-on-er. As many of my friends know, I have a loud voice. I can yell like crazy, and clap like crazy, and be overly happy about things I have nothing to do with, like shows I watch on TV or... well, mostly shows I watch on TV (while I'm being a lay-sitter).

Lately though, I've been putting my various "talents" to work. I am a paid audience member. Hurray! Glamour and lights and such! No, not really. Actually, the days are long, and what you mostly do is sit, look attentive, and clap when they tell you to. You can't chew gum or eat while you're watching (which is what I'd probably do if I were watching at home) and you cannot fall asleep. Oh! Here's another thing. Sometimes you have to bring a change of wardrobe. Usually they film two shows in a day, and when you come back after lunch, it's a "new day" in TV-Land and unless you want to look like you slept in your clothes, you have to at least change your shirt. The studio crew also switches everyone around so people aren't sitting in the same place they sat earlier.

It's funny. Now that I've been in studio audiences, I look at studio audiences in the game shows I watch. You can tell which people take being an audience member seriously, and which ones just show up for the moolah. Some people show up well-dressed with ties, dress shirts, etc. These people sit up straight, and genuinely cheer for contestants. Other people show up with leopard print tops, football jerseys, big, ugly sweatshirts, and they tend to have half-hearted claps and disinterested eyes. After noticing that, I realized, I'd better look nice, because I might be on TV.

The pay isn't great, usually only six to eight dollars an hour, but it's not going to be great when all you do is sit and clap. This is definitely not a job with a paycheck that a person can live on, especially since the work isn't guaranteed everyday work. Luckily, I have Stink Pants #5 :). The extra cash I make from this is (as Stink Pants calls it) Fannin' Money.

Look for me in 1 vs. 100 with Bob Saget (the main contestant was a lady dentist) or on the Greg Berhendt Show. I can't name a specific guest, because I was in the audience six times. Just look for me. I'm there somewhere, looking good and clapping like crazy.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I've flipped on both shows long enough to be satisfied that you're not in the audience, and then I turn the TV back off. No luck seeing any YHAA so far, but I somehow managed to recognize who Greg Berhendt was without having to look him up. Crazy stuff....

Amanda said...

My mother had the day off today, and caught part of the Greg Berhendt show. I'd told her about it all cause we were in the same room when I got your text message the other day. Anyway, she's having fun with it. She said she saw somebody who looked a little like you on there today, but seeing as how she's never met you, it's tough to tell.

Looks like I'm going to be putting a picture of you up on their fridge to help her out for next time.

Princess Blogonoke said...

Hahahaha! My picture will be on the fridge of someone I've never met. I'm not sure whether to feel honored or a little freaked out.