Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Pregnancy makes me want to move stuff and make lists OR Children's movies Baby needs to watch at sometime or another

It's weird. I'm not sure if it's some chemical thing from the pregnancy, or just because I've been thinking about being a mom, or something completely unrelated of which I haven't thought, but I feel like I have a lot of energy now. I was in class the other day and I mentioned I wanted to rearrange the furniture in my apartment so I could add another loveseat-type sofa and get rid of our old papasan chairs. Stink Pants and I will miss our papasan chairs, but they take up too much space and they've become glorified hampers. My teacher said that when she was pregnant, she was doing all sorts of home renovations in her second trimester. I know of at least two other ladies in my past who had this "redecorate everything" phenomenon happen to them as well. Anyone else had this experience or know of someone who did?

The other weird thing I've noticed in my pregnancy is I feel like I should make lists. Not like grocery lists or "to do" lists, but lists that will remind me of things that I should teach my kids when they get older. Lists of my favorite foods, favorite places, favorite authors, movies they should see, etc. I feel like I need to make the list because I want to be sure they are exposed to things I enjoy, or at least things I think they should experience. I don't want to forget anything. It's up to them to decide if they like it or not, but for example, I want to be sure they've at least seen a good anime, a thought-provoking foreign film, a variety of black and white movies and movie stars. There's a movie that Noona and I saw when we were little kids called "The Blue Bird." It was about this boy and girl who were sent on a journey by a fairy to find the blue bird of happiness. So they go to a couple different lands, including a place where future kids are waiting to be born and playing in the meantime. They didn't find the bird, but when they come home, they find it's been in a cage in their house the whole time. It was made in 1940 and starred Shirley Temple. We probably never would have watched if our dad hadn't said, "Hey girls, watch this." Even now, I don't know anyone around my age who has seen that movie other than Noona. I need to find a copy of it so I can make my baby watch it, when it's appropriate of course (probably age 8 or 9).

Working List of children's movies for Baby to watch:
The Blue Bird
The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T
The Phantom Tollbooth
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
The Point
The Wizard of Oz
Gulliver's Travels
Sleeping Beauty
The Incredibles

I'll add more later. Actually, I'll just add this list to my Book O' Lists. It also includes favorite science fiction/fantasy books, favorite musicals/operettas, and tidbits of advice/things any stoopo should know (eg. people keep kitty litter in the trunks of their cars so they can use it under their tires for added traction on ice. Also, don't eat the freshness packet that comes with beef jerky.)

5 comments:

The Really Sarcastic Weasel said...

Corrie was wiped out here first trimester. I've heard that some women feel a big surge of energy their second trimester, but Corrie just returned to normal energy levels. We have accomplished some nesting activities in so far as we have acquired a crib, a gliding chair, a changing table, and dressers. Now, in the third trimester, she's been iron deficient and had 2 colds so energy levels are low again.

Is the Gulliver's Travels on your list the Sam Malone version?

I've been slowly acquiring the Studio Ghibli collection for a while for the Weasel Meme (forthcoming baby: see blog). I figure Totoro will probably be the first movie we'll let her see. Mononoke might have to wait a while.

I've been taking stock of our video library: lots of kid unfriendly material. Why do I have to like so much R-rated stuff?

As far as books go, I'll have to think about the Heinlein juveniles. They're perfectly appropriate, but the protagonists (with one exception) are all boys. She might be bored with that. I don't know.

Princess Blogonoke said...

Nah, I meant the Gulliver's Travels from 1939. It wasn't really true to the book, but I treasure it anyway :). Ooo, apparently one can download it from the prelinger archive.

There are tons of sci-fi books and authors I'd like Baby to have access to (when old enough, of course). "A Canticle for Leibowitz" is one.

The Really Sarcastic Weasel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Really Sarcastic Weasel said...

Man, I didn't read Canticle until high school.

You're either gestating a super-baby or planning a very deep game.

I'm trying to decide if the fuzzy duckling book Corrie's parents bought us is too traumatic for babies. First, 5 ducklings wander off to play and only 4 come back. Then 4 go off and only 3 come back. Eventually they're all gone and the mother duck has to go see what's happened to them. I won't spoil the ending, but it's like a standard horror film plot (OK, you got me, I've been too scared to read all of the way to the end).

Hey, are you planning a mad-scientist/evil-overlord type career path for your baby? That's the track the Weasel Meme is on. If you are, we need to decide if our babies will form an evil league of doom or if they're destined to become mortal enemies. Either way, I see a movie about it by Ang Lee.

Princess Blogonoke said...

Well, I did say I'd give the book to Baby when he/she's old enough. I must be planning a deep game. Or I just like making lists :)

Not sure about the career path yet. Actually I was thinking Gundam pilot. Gundam pilots can be good or evil, as far as I know (but usually more are good than evil).