Monday, February 05, 2007

Treasure in an Eight-year-old Computer

Stink Pants and I don't have a printer with a USB hook-up. Man! It's like we live in the dark ages!

Anyhoo, the printer that we do have is hooked up to the desktop I had in college. That desktop was the first big purchase I had ever made. I spent $1000 for a Gateway with a 19" monitor and 20 gigs of hard drive space. At the time, it was glorious! Glorious, I say!

Fast forward to 2005. I was in Oregon, computerless. Yes, I could've used Hoochie Momma's computer, but I missed having my own "space" to dump music, pictures and crap. Plus, I didn't want to monopolize the computer's time. So I bought another Gateway in 2005, which is the lappy that I still use today.

Stink Pants and I usually don't print things, because it is a bit of a hassle firing up Old Desktoppy. I had to print something out last weekend though, and little did I know I would find treasure!

My laptop had some music and some of my plays, but now it has all of it! It took four hours to transfer everything (I was too lazy to figure out how to set up an FTP server) but it was so worth it. I now have all 11 gigs of my music (mostly musicals and jazz/anime music if you must know) and all of the plays that I could get my hands on during my stint in the Student Theatre Association at my university.

Hurray! If anyone has lost their old STA plays and wants another copy, I can probably email it to you! If anyone wants to know what STA shows I've been involved with, Amanda was kind enough to provide me with the information :).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

andy sez:

I have this USB to Parallel Port adapter cord made for printers that I bought for my research. It didn't work at all for programming microcontrollers but I'd bet it would allow you to print directly from your laptop.

I could be convinced to send it to you if you bat you virtual eyelashes at me and email me your address.

It's seriously just getting in the way in my drawer here. But you did already transfer all those files...